European Union Center Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowships (FLAS)
FLAS FELLOWSHIPS GENERAL INFORMATION
Academic Year and Summer FLAS fellowships are available to US citizens or permanent residents for foreign language training and area studies. FLAS Fellowships are administered by the University of Illinois National Resource Centers and are awarded competitively through an annual competition. Students from all departments and professional schools are encouraged to apply.
EUC FLAS fellowships may be used for the study of many languages, including:
Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Czech, French (graduate students only), German (graduate students only), Modern Greek, Modern Hebrew, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Serbian-Bosnian-Croatian, Spanish (graduate students only), Swedish, Turkish, or Ukrainian.
Undergraduate fellowships are NOT available for Spanish, French, or German. Undergraduate fellowships are only available for intermediate to advanced (2nd year +) study of less commonly taught European languages (LCTLs); i.e., any modern foreign language other than Spanish, German, or French. Applicants must be able to take the language course at least at the 2nd year (intermediate) level in Fall 2017.
Graduate students might apply to study any one of the languages listed above at the beginners level if they already have proficiency in another language listed above. Otherwise, graduate fellowships are only available for intermediate to advanced (2nd year +) study of the languages listed above and applicants must be able to take the language course at least at the 2nd year (intermediate) level in Fall 2017.
FLAS ACADEMIC YEAR 2017-2018
EUC has academic-year FLAS fellowships to award for 2017-2018 to qualified University of Illinois graduate and undergraduate students.
- Graduate students: may receive full tuition and fee waiver and a stipend of $15,000 payable over the academic year. Eligibility for tuition waiver varies by home department and school.
- Undergraduate students: may receive $10,000 towards tuition and fees to study at the University of Illinois and a stipend of $5,000.
FLAS SUMMER 2017
- Graduate and undergraduate students: The awards carry a stipend of $2,500 plus $5,000 that can be used for tuition and fees to study a language. Students desiring to study overseas are advised to read the FLAS FAQ, and confer with the EUC FLAS coordinator Sebnem Ozkan (email@example.com) early in the planning process.
For more information and to apply for FLAS Fellowships, please visit the University’s Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) website.
FLAS INFORMATION SESSIONS [For Academic Year 2017-18 and Summer 2017 FLAS Fellowships]
For STUDENTS (Graduate & Undergraduate)
Information sessions will cover the requirements and deadlines and provide opportunities for students to ask questions of the FLAS coordinators. In addition, you can get tips on how to write a successful application; what supporting documents you need; and who is appropriate for a recommendation.
Wednesday, October 26, 2016 | 4 pm
Gregory Hall, Room 319, 810 S Wright St., Urbana
Thursday, October 27, 2016 | 4pm
GSLIS, Room 126, 501 E. Daniel St., Champaign
For ACADEMIC DEPARTMENTS
Information sessions will cover the requirements and deadlines and provide opportunities for department advisors to ask questions of the FLAS coordinators
Monday, October 24 | 12 pm
Room 101, International Studies Building, 910 S Fifth St., Champaign
Tuesday, October 25 | 12 pm
507 E Green St., Room 411, Champaign
TO APPLY for Academic Year 2017-18 and Summer 2017 FLAS Fellowships:
All students must apply using a standardized application (online application is available on the FLAS website). Please review the FLAS website carefully for requirements for eligibility as well as graduate and undergraduate instructions, and peruse the FLAS FAQ make sure you have gathered all the information you need before beginning the online application.
SELECTION CRITERIA for Academic Year 2017-18 and Summer 2017 FLAS Fellowships:
- Applicants are judged on their record of academic achievement.
- Demonstrated and proposed commitment to EU language and area studies.
- Statement of purpose describing how the proposed language study fits in with your thesis, dissertation research project or degree program and how it relates to EU Studies as a field of study. Statement should also illustrate how you intend to use the language and how the language and area study will contribute to your ultimate career goals. Please also describe your previous language learning experiences (formal and informal)
- Recommendation letters (3 letters; preferably one from your academic advisor and one from a language instructor when possible; the third letter can be from an instructor/professor of your own choice)
- Transcript (s)
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS for Academic Year 2017-18 and Summer 2017 FLAS Fellowships:
- Online Application Form [available on the FLAS website]
- Statement of purpose (max 2 pages)
- Three recommendation letters (preferably one from your academic advisor and one from a language instructor when possible; the third letter can be from an instructor/professor of your own choice)
- Transcripts (Undergraduate and Graduate – unofficial transcripts are acceptable)
Deadline for Applications: February 3, 2017 [for Academic Year 2017-18 and Summer 2017 Fellowships]
Online Application Form for Academic Year 2017-18 and Summer 2017 – available on the FLAS website)
CONTACT EUC FLAS coordinator Dr. Sebnem Ozkan (217-244-0570 or firstname.lastname@example.org)