In 2015, the European Union Center was selected as one of seven centers in the United States to gain the designation of being a “Jean Monnet Center of Excellence” by the European Commission. With this designation came funds for teaching and research projects on European integration. The EU Center’s project is entitled “Strengthening Transatlantic Trust” and features 3 modules lead by distinguished faculty from across disciplines.
Transatlantic Trust in Agriculture and Food Trade
This module leverages the University of Illinois’ extensive agricultural expertise to explore food standards in both the EU and the US, particularly with a focus on trade treaties like the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP).
- Land Concentration, Agricultural Sustainability, and Food Sovereignty in the European Union – April 6, 2018
- Third Annual International Food Security Symposium – April 3-4, 2017
Transatlantic Trust in Economic Practices and Capital Flows
This module examines the increased financial interconnectivity of the world, with an emphasis on the consequences of the European sovereign debt crisis on the transatlantic relationship.
- Roundtable: Sovereign Debt Crisis in the Transatlantic Arena – October 20, 2017 (video)
Transatlantic Trust in Migration and Movements of People
This module tackles a contemporary policy challenge by focusing on the politics of mobility within the EU, especially related to minorities and migrant labor.
- Zsuzsanna Fagyal
- Anna Westerstahl Stenport (Georgia Institute of Technology)
- Joyce Mushaben (University of Missouri – St. Louis)
- Stockholm Summer Arctic Program – Summer 2016