Most MAEUS students include study or internships in Europe, with time spent abroad ranging from two months to a year.
In collaboration with the University’s Illinois Abroad and Global Exchange, the EUC partners with several prestigious European universities to offer study abroad opportunities in EU and European Studies, which can be combined with language study, internships, and independent research. Erasmus Plus funding for study abroad may also be available with some of these universities.
Our preferred partners include
* Universities in Vienna and the Austria-Illinois Exchange Program
* KU Leuven, Belgium’s largest and oldest university, a 30 min train ride from Brussels
* Paris, especially Paris-Diderot VII
* University of Luxembourg
The EUC helps facilitate competitive high-profile student internships that provide intensive, full-time professional development experiences, typically pursued during the summer months. Recent placements include:
- US State Department in Paris and Washington DC
- The European Parliament in Brussels
- The State of Illinois Office of Trade and Investment West European Office in Brussels
- The Fulbright Commission in Brussels
Summer Language Study
MAUES students have also pursued summer language study at a number of institutes in Europe, which include:
– University of Lisbon, Portugal
– Ankara University Turkish and Foreign Languages Applied Research Center, Turkey
– Humboldt University, Germany
– New Bulgarian University, Bulgaria
Programs in different countries and at different universities can be arranged, since the University of Illinois has institutional exchange agreements with a wide number of European universities. Students are encouraged to begin planning their study abroad experience as soon as possible, under the guidance of staff at the EUC and the Study Abroad Office.